In this tutorial I’m going to show you how I made my pixel brushes, and I’ll use the pinking shear (zig zag) brush as an example. As I was making these brushes, I was impressed that by moving a single pixel, a brush would take on an entirely different pattern. For example, even though a small brush might have only 9 pixels, moving one of them can create something totally different.
In this exercise, you will learn how to:
- Set Photoshop preferences for Units and Rulers
- Set Photoshop preferences for Grids
- Create a new Photoshop document
- Turn on Grids
- Work with Zoom, increase magnification
- Duplicate and name layers
- Use the Move tool
- Edit space between brush impressions
- Define a brush
I hope you enjoy this tutorial and have fun experimenting with new patterns!
By the way, if you missed it, you can download some free sample brushes here, and if you’re an Extras member, you can download a set of 53 pixel brushes, too. One more thing… you can see my non-pixel brush pinking shear brush tutorial (what a mouthful!) over here.